Thursday, September 22, 2005

Fiddleworms are back with 'Year of the Cock'

The Fiddleworms were a local band back in the mid 90's in Florence, AL. I went to high school with Russell Mefford, the bands founder, and Chris Quillen, one of the greatest guitarist ever to walk the earth, in my humble opinion. Chris was tragically killed in a car accident memorial day weekend, 1996. I'll always remember where I was when I found out he died. The story I heard was that Chris was a week away from moving down to Athens, GA to join the Drive-by Truckers when the accident occurred. Not taking away from the current make-up of the band, which I think is its best make-up ever, but I can only imagine the incredible music made with Chris Quillen in the mix with DBT.

Now, I've heard through the grapevines that certain tensions remain between some folks associated with DBT and The Fiddleworms. Quite frankly it ain't none of my business. I love DBT like no other band. But I also have really fond memories of the Fiddleworms and their music. One summer I spent many a druken night in Callahans hitting on pretty college girls to the tunes of the Fiddleworms playing in the corner. I also love the fact that so much goddamn talent lives in the Shoals area of Alabama.

Below is a story in the home town newspaper about the reemergence of the band. You've got to register to access the article. You'll notice an ex DBTer, Rob Malone, has joined them. I'm sure they'll be putting out some very fine music.

After almost a decade, the Fiddleworms are back with 'Year of the Cock'

Fiddleworms

No comments: