Friday, October 05, 2007

DBT Week in Review 10/5/07

Look who charted a #1 record on Billboard's. Check out the Blues chart at the bottom of the page

Top Music Charts - Hot 100 - Billboard 200 - Music Genre Sales

Congratulations Bettye, DBT and Patterson Hood.

Little gold plated paper weight, anyone?

Here's a backstage interview with Bettye from last year.



_______

Here's a special review of Bruce Springsteen's new record by Patterson Hood

The Boss is Back?

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - MAGIC

For those of you out there who used to love Bruce Springsteen and perhaps thought that we'd never again hear a new Springsteen album that makes us say "Hell yeah!" again, I'm pleased as shit to report that I think we finally have it.

Upon hearing the single, Radio Nowhere, I was initially amused at how much the opening guitar riff sounded like Jason Isbell's DBT song "Never Gonna Change". Not in a bad way, Lord knows I spent enough of my youth emulating Bruce so a little unintentional payback was kinda a sweet irony. (One could make a fun game of going through Adam's House Cat's Town Burned Down album and counting the moments where I rip off the Boss, but I digress). Still, I liked it better than any single he's released in a long time and I hoped that it was in indicator of how the new album might sound.

Upon first hearing the new album (which like any self-respecting modern day fanatic, I ripped off and illegally burned, no worry though, as I have purchased the vinyl now and by the way KUDOS for
releasing it on beloved 33 1/3 a week before the CD comes out. Too fucking cool. I hope our label will do that with our next album, but again, i digress). Where was I? Oh yeah, upon first hearing it I was thrilled to like it so much. Hell, I proclaimed, best damned Bruce album since 1987's Tunnel of Love.

Oh, i've been a little tough on my childhood hero in the past decade or so. I skated through the bad 90's making the best of whatever happened. Tom Joad really did have some great songs, i just couldn't really listen to it all that much. The show I saw on that tour was incredible, but certainly not a ROCKSHOW. The Rising was supposed to be the "return to form" but I fucking hated it (except for the song Empty Sky, which I really loved). The rest of it, i'd honestly just as soon hear his so-called mid life crisis albums (Human Touch anyone?).

Really wanted to like Devils and Dust, but just didn't. I did like the Pete Seeger thing, especially the live shows from it and held out hope that maybe this new revitalization would bleed into his next album of new original material.


Boy did it.

Upon about ten more listens (don't think I ever made it through The Rising that many times) I've changed my mind.

Magic is flat out my favorite Bruce Springsteen album since 1982's masterpiece Nebraska.

For years, I've held out some small hope that he'd make another Rock record like Darkness on the Edge of Town. Instead, he's given us a killer pop record like The River. (Which for the record is my all time fave, although the 78-82 period is pretty much perfect to me). At his prime, Bruce was the master at blurring the lines between the personal and the political and wrapping a message up in a pop song format. This time he's delivered the goods (and boy, do we need it now!)

He's obviously pissed, but who ain't. Only a moron can look around and not see that shit is fucked up. Only a master can take that anger and create great art from it. It may not change the world, but we all need a soundtrack as we deal with the daily bullshit. When I was a teenager, it was Springsteen's music that literally kept me going when I felt alienated from the world and alone out there. Now as I'm a forty plus year old man with a wife and kid of my own, I'm awfully proud and pleased to have a great new Bruce Springsteen album to crank up in the car as I pull out of here to win.

_______

Freakin' hilarious commercial via JennB:

Cadbury Dairy Milk - Glass and a Half Full Productions

_______


Go grab Glossary's new record. It is mighty fine, y'all. I've been listening to it steady since I downloaded it.

Glossary!

Email from TB
I really wanted you to know that the new record from Glossary (http://www.glossary.us ) entitled The Better Angels Of Our Nature is available for FREE from our website. I thought you may not mind hearing about getting something for free. If you've never heard Glossary, I've been playing pedal steel and guitar in this band for 6-7 years and this is by far the best thing we've ever done. We like it so much that we want as many people to hear it as possible, so we are giving it away. On October 23rd you will be able to purchase a CD copy of the album if you like. We will be releasing the CD in runs of 200-250 with different artwork by regional artists for each limited run. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Here's a quick link:

The Better Angels of our Nature


_______

One of my favorite bands..

MySpace.com - Marah - Brooklyn, New York

Hello All,

Just a note to say that we are streaming four songs off of our upcoming vinyl and iTunes EP "Can't Take it With You" on our MySpace page.

1. Angels on a Passing Train
2. Hard Up!
3. Can't Take it With You
4. If You Didn't Laugh You'd Cry

And so Kirk can have something to look forward to, could you send a friend or two our way? He is a simpleton who loves nothing more than approving friend requests.

All the best,

Marah
_______

Radiohead to give away new album - Telegraph:
"Radiohead, the internationally renowned band, has taken the unusual step of telling fans that they can pay as much or as little as they like for the band's new album In Rainbows"
_______

MySpace.com: Read Bulletin:

"Hello Friends, Just wanting to give an exciting update on some great press that Adam Smith photography has recently received. Check out the current issue of 'Hittin' the Note' Magazine Issue #53. In there you will find a feature article on Adam Smith's work. Adam talks in depth with 'Hittin' the Note' about his photography and his career. ALSO: Adam Smith Photography in PASTE MAGAZINE! The PASTE 7 October 2006 AN ASSORTMENT OF OUR(PASTE MAGAZINE) ENTERTAINING BITS OF WHATEVER 7) Adam Smith's The Last of Their Kind Georgia-based music photographer Adam Smith's The last of their kind is an intriguing look at blues legends like the late Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside. Shot mostly in rural Mississippi, the series chronicals these musicians doing what they do best on dilapidated porches and abandoned freight cars, and at live shows and Juke Joints. www.adamsmithphotography.com Paste Magazine October 2006"
_______

And water is still wet....

Ryan Adams has meltdown at concert - CNN.com:

"MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- Ryan Adams pitched another fit for a Minneapolis audience, a few years after his last local meltdown. Adams Ryan Adams, upset about the monitors at a Minneapolis show, stalked off stage. Throughout a show Thursday night, the 32-year-old singer-guitarist complained about the sound monitors onstage at the State Theatre. At one point, he moved two monitors, his microphone and his guitar pedals."
_______

Stoned: For the first time ever a Rolling Stone tells the inside story:

"For three decades he's been at the money burning, drug crazy heart of rock and roll. Now, in his scorching autobiography, Ronnie Wood reveals the inside story of his outrageous life in the Rolling Stones. My fellow Rolling Stone Keith Richards is my brother and mate but it's fair to say our relationship has had its ups and downs. During a period in the early Eighties, I was freebasing a lot of cocaine."
_______

New Foo Fighters



_______

Madonna, Beasties, Mellencamp Up For Rock Hall:

"Madonna, the Beastie Boys, John Mellencamp and Leonard Cohen lead a wildly disparate class of nominees for 2008 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They join Afrika Bambaataa, Chic, the Ventures, Donna Summer and the Dave Clark Five on the ballot. Five acts will be inducted March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel."
_______

ABC News: Did Quit-Smoking Pill Lead to Man's Death?:

"Since Texas musician Carter Albrecht's bizarre and tragic death, concerns have surfaced about Chantix, the stop-smoking drug he was prescribed. Those closest to Albrecht believe the drug contributed to his death."

_______
_____
___

No comments: