Friday, October 03, 2008

DBT Week in Review - 10/03/08

Damn, I so want to write about dipshit Palin in the 'debate' last night. Alas, I'll resist until Monday, but if you run into anyone this weekend who was taken in by her incoherent babbling, please slap them really hard and right into their face yell "Stop swallowing Horse Shit"!

_______

DBT!

Patterson's GOAV Jambase article:

Rocktober: Get Out And Vote! on JamBase:

"What is the relationship between music and politics - and how, if at all, has this relationship affected your music?

P: I think all aspects of life are affected by politics so therefore everything is somewhat political. To pretend otherwise is a dangerous slope and a big reason why we as a nation got into as much trouble as we have. I really try not to ever stand up there and preach my political beliefs to the audience, as that's not what they've come to the show for, but it does affect the writing and it's no secret how I (or the rest of the band) feel about things. I tend to write about more personal aspects of character's lives, but often the two are intermingled."

_______


I've been grooving on Zebulon for the past week. Great record.

Aquarium Drunkard: MP3 Blog, Music Blog � Long Shots :: Don Chambers & Patterson Hood:

"(Long Shots, a new feature on Aquarium Drunkard, asks some of our favorite artists to interview one another. Think of it as listening in on a good conversation.)

Presently on the road touring with the Drive-By truckers, Don Chambers & Goat, released their latest LP, Zebulon, September 9th via Athens, GA’s Warm Recordings label. Chamber’s pal, Patterson Hood, produced and played on the album. Below, the two talk shop for a bit before getting into the nitty-gritty in regards to favorites in film and music. Great stuff."
_______

Scott showed me pictures of Cooley's guitar on his cell phone at the Outside Lands. What a beautiful piece of artwork!

Myspace.com Blogs - The New Cooley Custom is finished - Scott Baxendale MySpace Blog:

"Check out the photos I just posted of the new Scott Baxendale/Wes Freed collaboration, which is Mike Cooleys new Custom guitar. He recieved it today in Austin just in time for the Austin City Limits taping. This guitar is also the ssubject of the Perfect Timing video to be out soon. Look in my pics section to see pictures of the finished guitar. Let me know what you think.

This is the most elaborate guitar I have made since the Warner Brothers guitar that I made in 1988. This one was featured in the Travis Tritt video for 'Country Club'."


Check out all of the pictures especially the neck:



MySpace.com Photos - Scott Baxendale - The New Cooley Custom

_______

I said on 5/16/07....

Alabama Ass Whuppin': DBT TDU - Great American Music Hall - SF - Night 2:

"How ready is this band for an Austin City Limits gig? It's been long over due in my opinion but with this showcase of songs sitting down and tales facing up the folks who book that show just ain't being christian by not having DBT on pronto."

I'm glad they've remedied that.

_______

I thought I blogged this in last week's WIR, but apparently I didn't.

Now, THESE are the guys I want to hang out with Pre-DBT show.



_______

Marina captured a great performance of You and Your Crystal Meth for our enjoyment:

Drive By Truckers~Crystal Meth


_______

Jason Isbell

Isbell and Browan will be heading out to Cali for some November accoustic shows:

Myspace.com Blogs - California in November - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit MySpace Blog:

"California in November

Notice the three new shows that just went up in California. Browan and I will be doing the acoustic duo on these, and we're really excited about it. The acoustic shows in the past have gone exceptionally well. Expect some surprises."
_______

Dexateens

Check out the video to the 'teens awesome song 'Kid'.



_______

Film/Literature/Muscle Shoals Sound

I believe a couple of Hoods are in this doc. I'm very anxious to see it because the TVA's existence caused my existence. Tied right down to my soul with the damns, lakes and rivers created by the TVA. Both my Grandpas worked for the TVA.



_______

One of my favorite authors visited my hometown University recently:

Bragg a little | TimesDaily.com | The Times Daily | Florence, AL:

"Rick Bragg knows how to tell a good story."

"Growing up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain in eastern Alabama, place and family have become recurring themes in his work, including the best-sellers 'All Over but the Shoutin' ' and 'Ava's Man.'

In his most recent book, 'The Prince of Frogtown,' Bragg digs a little deeper into the character of his father, a shadowy and wayward character whose life and absence from the life of the author has largely influenced his career."
_______

Chris Lilly is from Florence, AL. I believe I've blogged about him before. He kept showing up on my TV on ESPN all last week especially during the Alabama - Georgia 'blackout'.

Meals Together - Chris Lilly's Bio

_______

Music

Via Tac.

What do y'all think about these folks:



________
_____
___

No comments: