Friday, October 08, 2010

DBT Week in Review - 10/8/10

DBT!

A conversation with Drive-By Truckers' Patterson Hood [Music] | Louisville.com:
"But I'd say we probably at any given time have 125, 140 songs to choose from, to pull out at any moment. So, anything can go."
_______

Drive-By Truckers @ The Pabst Theater:
"If the phrase “salt of the earth” could describe any band, it would be the Drive-By Truckers—one of those rare groups that manage to exude authenticity and humility at the same time. So it was appropriate that the Athens, Ga.-based band was tapped to officially kick off Farm Aid, which celebrated its 25th anniversary this weekend at Miller Park. Like those Farm Aid champions, the Truckers keep their heads down, work hard and turn out amazing products on an almost yearly basis."
_______

Live Review: Drive-By Truckers, 9.29.10, Iowa City, IA - The Milk Carton - Forums:
"Very few bands have captured my imagination in recent times like Drive-By Truckers. I initially heard the band in my preparation for covering Lollapalooza 2010, and I haven’t looked back. The band’s got an impressively deep discography, and the surface was barely scratched at the festival. Needless to say, I pounced on tickets the second I saw they were giving me a hometown show. I gathered some friends, gathered some whiskey, and made my way to the show."
_______

Review Setlist: Drive-By Truckers and the Henry Clay People at the Pageant - St. Louis Music - A to Z:
"There are very few certainties in life, but there's one thing you can always count on: If Athens, Georgia's Drive-By Truckers are in town, you have the opportunity to see one of the best rock n'roll shows money can buy. That situation presented itself Saturday night, and roughly 2,000 folks took advantage of said opportunity -- each of which were rewarded in the form of rock n'roll salvation."
_______

Drive-By Truckers | 10.02.10

Photo Gallery: Drive-By Truckers in St. Louis // SoundSpike

_______



_______

Will Johnson - Musical Genius

The Sound and the Fury: Austin's own Monster of Folk, Will Johnson Austin Music - AustinChronicle.com:
"'Centro-matic is my favorite band,' proclaims Patterson Hood of the Drive-by Truckers, who drafted Johnson and Danbom for his 2009 solo album, Murdering Oscar (And Other Love Songs), and accompanying tour. 'I was a huge fan long before I met them. I don't know if I can even put it into words. Every once in a while, something comes along that's just like nectar music. It's got everything I like in one place, as if I've been hearing it all my life.

'Centro-matic ought to be one of the biggest bands of the world. They're a fourpiece without an ounce of flab, and Will Johnson is just an ungodly great singer and player. I hope I've been influenced by him.'"
_______

Music I Like - Muscle Shoals Sound

These two groups are from The Shoals and a very worth a look and listen

Check out Doc Daily & Magnolia Devil. They just dropped a new record. Free song download.

Good stuff, great band name and very good on 'em:

Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil - home

Facebook | Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil

______

The Secret Sisters took their first trip out West recently to perform at the Hardly Strictly Festival with T. Bone and a host of others. I'm very sorry I missed their Friday set, but they are pointed upwards and the skies the limit.

Support 'em! Listen to 'em. Love 'em. And don't keep them or Doc a Secret.

The Secret Sisters

Facebook | The Secret Sisters

The Secret Sisters on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

_______

Music

Gibson makes guitars to honor John Lennon

_______

Best festival anywhere anytime:

2010 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival – San Francisco, CA, Golden Gate Park � Fog City Foodie



_______
_____
___

2 comments:

Jez said...

Christ. Go figure someone from Iowa City can go in and fuck up a review of a DBT show. Personally, the thing I like about DBT is that they're not scared to come out with a slow song. The first time I saw a band do this, I was like, "Whoa. That was different." It tends to build tension. And SRO is this guy's favorite. All that was needed was a reference to Skynnyrd and this guy would've hit the tri-fecta.

*sigh*

AAW said...

I agree, Jez. I've been happy on some nights when they start out slow, especially, if I'm hung over from the night before.