Friday, March 06, 2009

DBT Week in Review - 3/6/09

DBT!

Go to the link and you can listen to an audio version of the interview. Good stuff.

Truckin' With Mike Cooley // The 'Zine // Rock Band�:

"BM: Do you think the music industry is going to hell in a handbag?

MC: I hope so. [laughs] I hope it doesn’t take me with it. I feel like we’ve done a lot of things over the years, way before things got to this, to put ourselves in a position where we don’t have to go down with the ship. We’ve never really been part of that crew anyway. They’ll survive. They’ll keep manufacturing what they can manufacture until they figure out how to do something else. It has changed. This thing we’re talking about here – Rock Band – and the way people find and get exposed to and buy music, it’s gone totally left field from what it used to be. You don’t even know where it’s going to pop up anymore. It’s not as simple or cut and dried, and it’s not an industry or market that can be cornered by any one entity. It’s a lot more wide open and more different people with different ideas. I think the record industry and the auto industry and all these other industries that are crapping their pants, it’s not the economy – it’s being stuck in a business model that hasn’t been relevant since about 1989. It’s a failure to adapt."

The Company DBT Keeps:

Beatles Rock Band Debut Set for September by PC World

_______

Swampland: Daniel Hutchens Reports On Bloodkin-Drive By Truckers Shows Last Weekend

_______

A true Rock Hero:



_______

Kids with their crazy video games and rock music these days:



_______

Fan cover of Something's Got to Give Pretty Soon:




Live Last Night: Jason Isbell - Post Rock:

"So this is why Jason Isbell didn't want to stick with the Drive-By Truckers, feeling like Joe Walsh: Because he's as confident and magnetic a frontman as he is prolific and able a songwriter."
_______

Sunstroke live:



_______

Streetlights:



_______

Muscle Shoals Sound

Travis Wammack's son, Monkey, who, if memory serves me, was once the touring drummer for Little Richard, once paid me one of the highest complements I've ever received.

I was still in grad school so my voice was very trained and I'd come home for a visit. A local joint was doing some karaoke and I decided to jump on stage to do my pantie dropping version of Moon Dance by Van Morrison.

After I finished, Monkey pulled me aside and said that that was the best version of that song he'd heard in a long time.

So, yeah, I use to could sing, but my voice is crap now.

Nice memory to have, though.

"In this video clip, guitarist Travis Wammack remembers teaming with legendary music producer Rick Hall and playing guitar for American music legends Aretha Franklin, Paul Anka, The Righteous Brothers and more."



_______

The Hold Steady



_______


Music I Like

Check out Ribbonpigeon. They're friends of Glossary and have a new record out.

Joey Kneiser from Glossary sings on tracks Troubled One and Drew Blood.

Ribbonpigeon on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

You can download their new record, Steel Hearts, for free. Good stuff. You should check it out. I'm quite partial to Loneliness is on my Side:

RBBNPGN

_______

Music

Finally. I've been waiting for this apology for a long time:

Right Music Wrongs



_______


UK University Offers Masters In The Beatles:

"LONDON — The city of Liverpool already has a Beatles museum and its airport is named after John Lennon. Now a local university says it rolling out a graduate program entirely devoted to the Fab Four."


Spinal Tap To Reunite For Tour:

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — The amps won't be turned up to 11 for Spinal Tap's reunion tour"

________


Gotham Acme � “Britney Into My Heart”:

"In 2008 Brooklyn singer songwriter Alina Simone released a passionate and compelling album of modern Russian folk covers that was one of the year’s best. Now she has turned her attention a little closer to home and is completing a new album of her own material in English (which is previewed below) — but not before she dabbles a bit by playing a Britney Spears cover or two. I asked her about all this and found the line from Yanka Dyagileva to Britney is shorter than you might think."
_______

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - METALLICA's LARS ULRICH: I Downloaded 'Death Magnetic' Illegally

_______
_____
___

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice set of links... I can't help but think "awwww...." watching that clip of Patterson trying to stick it out. But OMG the Mario Sweet Annette!

Also, there was a three part interview with Eric Carter:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

AAW said...

Patterson is a badass. If I was that sick I'd be curled up in a ball on my bed sucking my thumb, not trying to rock a crowd of 1000 or so.

That's for the EC links, b.

J.