Friday, October 27, 2006

DBT Week in Review - 10/27

DBT News

Quick update: Happy Birthday, Jayne Clamp!

Ms. Jenn tips off to an upcoming well deserved DBT break next year:

Nine Bullets:
"Just so y'all know, I think it would behoove you all to get to these shows. I have a feeling this may be the last chance to see DBT in Athens for a LONG time - after NYE, it's possible that DBT will be taking an extended hiatus, by far the most extensive time off this band has taken in 10 years. They need it, so don't begrudge them the time off, but DO go see them. THIS ISN'T a breakup rumor starter or anything so don't get your panties in a wad, just get to the nearest rock show.

-j"
God, I love that term: "Panties in a wad". It says so much so well.

Mike from the Yahoo Group spotted this great Patterson interview.

Nashville Scene - Q&A: Patterson Hood of The Drive-By Truckers:
"PH: We’ll be finishing this tour on Halloween and we’ll be doing some one-offs and some weekend stuff from time to time, but I’m not planning on the band touring, maybe even for all next year. Besides doing some one-offs to keep the lights on, I’d like to keep it off the road. We’re gonna make another record. I’m gonna put out my solo record, and Jason’s gonna put his record out and there is some outside production stuff I really want to find some time to do. And I want to spent some time with my family, spend some time enjoying life a little bit. It’s been a really hard year. We’ve been on the road since March almost non-stop, and I’ve got a very little daughter at home that I’m spending way too much time away from—and my wife—so I’m going to try and rectify that."
Let's roll with the Patterson action. Here's a YouTube of Patterson playing an acoustic version of "18". Eeet's berry niiiice (My pitiful impression of Borat):



So what's Jason up to? Kudzu Guillotine fills us in on Nine Bullets:

From Flagpole.com:

Ask For It By Name:
Drive-By Truckers guitarist Jason Isbell has now joined the ranks of Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page, Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong and Aerosmith’s Joe Perry. How so? Because folks can now purchase a genuine Jason Isbell signature guitar courtesy of manufacturer First Act. Dubbed 'The Jason Isbell Custom Delgada,' the guitar sure looks comfortable. I haven’t had the chance to play one yet, but Isbell debuted it during the Truckers' appearance on the 'Late Night With Conan O’Brien' show and loved it, so I’ll take that as gospel. Take a gander over at http://www.firstact.com."



Other Music News

Seems to be a real push to make the Shoals the "Hit making capitol of the world" again. Good! Finally!!

FAME Records sponsoring two nights of music:
"FAME Records is sponsoring two nights of music with the intention of putting Muscle Shoals music back on the map.

Rodney Hall, president of FAME Music Publishing, said the shows will be attended by executives with EMI, the world's largest independent music company, creators' rights organization BMI, Anderson Music Merchandising and others.

FAME Records recently announced a partnership with EMI, which will re-release past FAME recordings as well as new artists signed to the FAME label."
_______

Dammit Curt, I swear son I think it's time you came around. Havin' money you can't spend, ain't what bein' deads about.

Cobain bumps off Elvis as top-earning dead celeb:
"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rock 'n' roll legend Elvis Presley ceded his crown to Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain on Forbes.com's list as the top-earning dead celebrity.

The list, published on Tuesday, said grunge rocker Cobain earned $50 million between October 2005 and October 2006. Presley wound up in the No. 2 slot with $42 million, down from last year's $45 million."
_______

Love the Clash. London Calling always makes me want to rebel.

Clash honored at Rock Hall - Yahoo! News:
"CLEVELAND - Armed with guitars, amps and attitude, they rocked the casbah, fought the law and hijacked a train in vain.

The Clash were more than a four-piece band. They were rock 'n' roll revolutionaries.
_______

"I've been to Georgia on a fast train honey.... Ain't no need in y'all treatin' me this way".

Read the last line. What's his old ass doing wrasslin'?

Billy Joe Shaver Ties the Knot Again:
"Billy Joe Shaver has tied the knot — again.

Shaver, who wrote 'Georgia on a Fast Train' and 'I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be a Diamond Someday),' married Wanda Lynn Canady in Las Vegas on Friday, according to a statement from Compadre Records, his Houston-based independent label.

Billy Gibbons, the bearded frontman for ZZ Top, presided over the ceremony. It was Shaver's second marriage to Canady, said Compadre spokesman Logan Rogers. The first marriage was annulled.

The 67-year-old country singer was married three times to his wife Brenda, who died in 1999. Their first two marriages ended in divorce.

Shortly after the latest wedding, Shaver cracked a vertebra while wrestling with a friend, Rogers told The Associated Press on Tuesday. He was expected to recover."
_______

Finally.... This will shock many of you but.... I can't even comment on it. It's too painful. What next, they'll find out that Curt Cobain injected herion into his veins.... Oh, wait....

Snoop Dogg arrested at SoCal airport:
"BURBANK, Calif. - Snoop Dogg was arrested on suspicion of illegal drug and gun possession, police said."
_______
_____
___

4 comments:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

You said panties. In a wad. Jes' don't think I didn't notice.

AAW said...

You sniff those "panty" references right out, dontcha Blue Gal. I'll be in your neck of the woods in 20 days. Sweet Home AL here I come!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bday wishes J!

AAW said...

You are most welcome Ms. Jayne. I'm sure you had a blast with those 2 bands.