Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Movie Phone... Bitches

I watched the movie 'Idiocracy' this weekend. It's one you think would be really stupid but is surprisingly good. The movie is a comedy that comments on the dumbing down of America. I saw this article yesterday and for some reason thought of the movie.

Two Secret Service officers injured at White House�:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Secret Service officers were injured on Tuesday after a gun held by another Secret Service officer accidentally fired inside the White House gate, according to a spokesman, Darrin Blackford.

Bush has thoroughly corrupted our government with incompetents. After 33 people are killed by a hand gun at VTech, our Secret Service guys accidentaly pop off a shot inside the gates of the White House?

Speaking of the VTech shooting and acknowledging that it was a horrible, horrible event... I agree with this from Juan Cole:

Cole On Virginia Tech Shootings: ‘In Iraq, This Is A Daily Event’

Case in point. Today's news from Iraq:

4 bombings kill 157 people in Baghdad

I'm also knodding my head in agreement with this:

Daily Kos: From A Virginia Tech Alumnus to President Bush:

"I find your desire to attend the memorial service on Virginia Tech to be just another callous and manipulative act. Do these people suffering from an inexplicable tragedy the favor of staying in Washington. You have nothing but empty sentiment to offer. However, to accommodate and protect your monstrous ego, security procedures will destroy the emotional sanctity of the memorial service. You know that, but you cannot resist the temptation to distract people from your failed foreign and domestic policies, not to mention the corruption threatening the survival of your terrible tenure as the president."

_______

On a lighter note....

Other films I've seen lately:

The Departed: I almost departed this movie from my DVD player and out the window. When a movie wins Best Picture and Director I expect it to be brilliant on at least one level. This movie bored the crap out of me. I wanted to smack Leo's character for being a whiney bitch the entire 2 and a freakin half hours of this crapfest. Scorsese was given B.D. for The Departure as a life time achievement award NOT for this film. This movie pissed me off with its utter blandness and constant implausibility. Oh, and could you make the one black dude in the film any more token? That was a fucking stereotype of a stereotype.

Babel: Loved this flick. Loved it! This should have been Best Picture hands down. All of the story lines were fascinating. I want to move to Japan and date the deaf chick.

_______

Maybe the wacky right wingers are right. Maybe evolution doesn't exist.

De-evolution does exist apparently:

Chimps More Evolved Than Humans:

"Since the human-chimp split about 6 million years ago, chimpanzee genes can be said to have evolved more than human genes, a new study suggests.
_______

Didn't need a survey to tell me this but....

SURVEY: Daily Show/Colbert Viewers Most Knowledgable, Fox News Viewers Rank Lowest:

"A new study by the Pew Research Study shows that viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report have the highest knowledge of national and international affairs, while Fox News viewers rank nearly dead last:"
_______

This would have been awesome

Chappelle pulls all-nighter at Factory:

"Anyone who bought a ticket to the Laugh Factory on Sunday night ended up getting two surprises.

The first came when Dave Chappelle appeared onstage at 10:36 p.m. for an unannounced set. The second shocker: Chappelle kept telling jokes until 4:43 the next morning--- making his entire set a whopping six hours and seven minute"


_______
_____
___

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. My first reaction (and this is a sad commentary on the world) when I heard about Virginia Tech is that that is daily reality in Iraq. I am sadly reminded of when I would sing to myself The Beatles' "In My Life" during the Vietnam War, or as they call it, the American War. The real line is "Some are dead and some are living" but due to the daily horror news from Vietnam, I would without thinking sing "Some are dead and some are wounded...". I agree totally with the alumnus' view of Bush going to Virginia. As we used to say: "right on!"

Anonymous said...

Did you see the FOX news on air obit of Kurt Vonnegut?
You can find it posted here:
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/04/16/kurt-vonneguts-lifefox-news-style/
Is it any wonder FOX news watchers are the dumbest people on earth?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, doesn't look like that link worked.

AAW said...

Davy: Took Bush 4 days to get to New Orleans after Katrina. What a putz.

Jitter: Let me see if I can find that link. Usually I'm too repulsed to even watch C&L clips of FAUX News....