Friday, July 27, 2007

DBT Week in Review - 7/27/07

Playing around with the masthead. This one is a temp one but I suck at picture editing so I'm learning as I go.

DBT! DBT! DBT!

DCist: A Whimper, then a Roar: Drive-By Truckers at the 9:30 Club:

"It sounds like a great idea. The Truckers rock as hard as any band on the circuit, but they also have few equals when it comes to balladry: With Isbell gone, they’re back down to only two of the best singer-songwriter-guitarists around, in founding members Hood and Mike Cooley. Songs like Hood’s “The Living Bubba” or Cooley’s “Daddy’s Cup” — I could give a dozen other examples from each songwriter — have the kind of narrative momentum and incisive characterization that probably isn’t best appreciated at bone-rattling volume in a club. The opportunity to hear these songs performed acoustically, perhaps with some Storytellers-style commentary from their authors, sounds too good to pass up."
_______

*cough* BULLSHITROLLINGSTONE *cough* *cough* BULLSHIT

dbts : Message: Rolling Stone's Best Live Bands Playing Right Now:

"Despite numerous mentions in the Comments section that accompanies this article the DBTs still didn't make the final cut. They should at the very fucking top of the list:

Jonathan
_______

Via Jayne
Looks like DBT posters may be in an upcoming movie:
_______

When DBT played in Greensboro I couldn't quite place where they were playing. I went to grad school at UNCG and was very familiar with the city.

When I saw the pictures, I immediately recognized the placed. DBT played on the exact spot where I use to live. The house has been torn down but it was in between Spring Garden Bar and Grill (now called something else) and the ice cream/hot dog place Yum-Yum. Kinda weird to see DBT playing on a spot where you lived for 3 years.

_______

YouTube - drive by truckers-stephen talkhouse-tdu-7/18/07

YouTube - drive by truckers 7/19/07 puttin' people on the moon

_______

Great post by 'blue light' on Nine Bullets. The last line are words to live by:

Nine Bullets:

"blue light

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I kind of weighed in on this on the Jason side of the board, but I want to do it over here as well. First off, I want to say that I LOVE Jason's album. I think he is a major talent and I think the album displays a maturity beyond his years. I am excited for all that is to come from him. As I also said on that side, I thought - especially when I heard A Blessing and a Curse - that their time together as a band was running out. And I believe their parting is a good thing. Jason is at a different place in his career than Patterson and Cooley. He needs to follow his own, bright star. We, as fans, will now be treated to MORE material from all of them than we would have been before. I, for instance, have been wanting more Cooley, now it looks like I'll get it. And I am a lot more excited about the prospects of the upcoming album than I was prior to Blessing. I once heard someone ask the Mother of a bunch of kids, 'how do you divide your love amongst them all?' And she answered, 'Honey, you don't DIVIDE your love, you MULTIPLY it.'"
_______

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

Via Jenn B:

Also, here are a few Jason Isbell links for ya - plus check out his new website for all kinds of great stuff, and to buy his awesome new album, 'Sirens of the Ditch' .

Hear Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit in a full band performance on NPR's World Caf�On Wednesday, August 15 between 2PM and 4PM ET. To find your local station go to: http://worldcafe.org

To listen on the web go to: http://xpn.org/listen_live/listen.php

Jason Isbell eCard: http://ecards.newwestrecords.com/jasonisbell/JasonIsbell_eCard_Amazon_Launch.html

To stay in touch with Jason:
Sign up for my email list http://www.newwestrecords.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=7"

Here's a nice Jason video from his appearance at Criminal Records in ATL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFQO-BmyNQ
_______

dbts : Message: RE: [dbts] Jason Isbell Airplay:

"They’ve been playing “Brand New Kind Of Actress” nightly on Iowa Public Radio, plus David Dye’s been playing it during the national World Caf�.

Bill in Iowa
_______

Sia Furler

My musical taste veers in all kinds of directions.

Of late I've been taken by some of the Brit Chick Soul singers.

But I do believe I found the chartreuse of all chartreuses.

For the past 48 hours I've been completely enamored by Sia Furler.

Sia's originally from Australia... moved to Britain and is the niece of Colin Hay, lead singer of Men at Work.

I've been obsessed with Sia ever since I stumbled over 2 days ago.... obsessed to the tune of about 40 bucks at the local record shop.

Songs styles are often wildly different from 80s new wave pop, electronica/dance, ballads as sweet as honey dew, R&B/soul that puts Amy Declinehouse on much needed notice.

Here's, IMO, what may be one of the best pop songs to be written in several years with a crazy/wonderful video that has established quite the nylon fetish in yours truly. Touches of 80s synth pop with a modern twist.

It's off her forthcoming record out in the Fall. Really poppy and only a one of the several styles Sia sings in. Tis called 'Buttons':



________

Here's her song called 'Breathe Me' that's given her some traction in the states. It was used on the season final of Six Feet Under.



_______

A couple more:

Sunday

Here's one that shows a different style as she sings with Zero 7:

Little Man


and an absolute Money song from Sia and Zero 7. I could put this song on a loop and listen to it all day:



Same song as performed on Jimmy Kimmel a few years back with Tina Dico singing harmony. droooool.



_______


So, yeah, I'm pretty obsessed with Sia at the moment. I know this music won't really appeal to some of the rockers that happen across this blog but I make know apologies for the music I dig. If it speaks to me, it speaks to me... and Sia speaks to me.

So quirky... so original... so freakin' cute... so goddamn talented.

www.myspace.com/siamusic

**> Sia <**

Sia interview 2007 :
"2006 was a busy year all around for Sia, with her song 'Breathe Me' featured in the unforgettable final scene of the Six Feet Under series finale. The US release of her album Colour The Small One saw Sia cited by Rolling Stone as one of '10 Artists To Watch'

Last year's Zero 7 album, 'The Garden', which features Sia's vocals on half the tracks, was also nominated for a Grammy, narrowly missing out only to Madonna.

Over 5 million MySpace plays are just an indication of the ever growing buzz surrounding one of the most innovative and interesting female solo artists of our time.

Her new album, Lady Croissant, recorded live at Bowery Ballroom in NYC is out in May 2007. I Like Music caught up with Sia to talk about her music, her collaborations and her doggies. "
________


Young@Heart Chorus


These folks put the AWE in AWESUM!

What a great story. This will warm your heart and make you think of your grand parents.

Singing seniors redefine rock songs:

"NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - Fred Knittle wears his belt up high. His nose is tethered to an oxygen tank, and on stage he's confined to a folding chair. From this unlikely perch, he's turning rock 'n' roll on its head.

Singing Coldplay's 'Fix You,' Knittle transforms the song into a powerful ballad about a grandfather's healing wisdom. It means something different coming from an 80-year-old retiree suffering from congestive heart failure.

Knittle is a singer for the Young@Heart Chorus, whose members range from 73 to 92 years old. Singing songs they shouldn't even know, at an age when they're expected to be sitting quietly somewhere, they subvert all accepted notions of old and young.

Songs by bands like the Radiohead, OutKast and Nirvana take on a new dimension when performed by these 23 foot-stomping senior citizens. 'Fix You' or the Clash's 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' become about life and death."
_______

If you don't get misty after watching this you ain't human:



Here's their version of Schizophrenia by Sonic Youth.



________
_____
____

No comments: