Friday, September 19, 2008

DBT Week in Review - 9/19/08

DBT!

BIG UPDATE!

Erykah Badu cancels Austin City Limits TV shoot, replaced with Drive-By Truckers | Austin Music Source:

"Erykah Badu has canceled her “Austin City Limits” TV show taping scheduled for Sept. 26, but she is still playing the festival in Zilker Park, ACL booker Terry Lickona said Friday.

“She said the band is not quite ready to tape a show for national television,” Lickona said. “We don’t really know what the details are.”

The Drive-By Truckers will be taking her slot that day, though the exact time of the taping is up in the air, Lickona added. “They’ve been on my list for some time themselves.”"


_______

Patterson Hood interviews

MOG - Discover people through music and music through people

_______

Shit City. Hilarious.

ETERNAL TERROR:
"So you don't have like an idea of how big you are here?

PH: No idea. I know we're playing a lot bigger room this time than last time, so that's a good sign, given it's not empty, but if it's empty then it's not a good sign, less people than in the little ones.

At this point Patterson and I relocate to a different room because Shit City is practicing on stage and it's became extremely difficult to hear what we were saying to each other.
_______


My man, Jez, posted a nice write up on DBT:

The Music Is The Message: I Got the Need to Blow It Out on Saturday Night:

"Occasionally, there have been tunes that have inspired me. More often, though, it's been a band that has become my favorite that has been inspiring with their catalog. In 2002, I had just moved my family to Wilmington, North Carolina, which is still holding on by a thread as being my favorite place I've lived in this country, after living almost 7 years in Pensacola, Florida. I was reading a Rolling Stone magazine and read something about the Drive-By Trucker's Southern Rock Opera."
_______

Muscle Shoals Sound

Myspace.com Blogs - FAME Relaunches label with Jimmy Hughes - FAME Music Group MySpace Blog:

"Fame Records, the original home of The Muscle Shoals Sound, will release its first catalog collection in over thirty years this fall. The label, sister company to the world famous FAME Recording Studios founded by Rick Hall in 1959, plans to release historic reissues, new recordings, and never-before-heard tracks from its extensive archives, via a new arrangement with EMI Distribution Co.

The first release from the reinvigorated FAME label 'The Best of Jimmy Hughes,' is an eighteen -track collection from the archetypal soul singer, coming out October, 28, 2008.

Rodney Hall, vice-president of FAME Records and son of Rick Hall, said 'It's been nearly fifty years since my father built FAME Studios, and the music made here is more influential now than ever. Our mission with FAME Records is to keep the legacy of this essential American music alive, and show the world that Muscle Shoals still thrives as a music mecca today.'"
_______

New Tunes

::: ELVIN BISHOP "THE BLUES ROLLS ON" :::



"The Blues Rolls On" harks back to Elvin Bishop's roots, paying tribute to the musicians who inspired him and who also helped give him his start. Supported by an all-star cast of blues royalty featuring B.B. King, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, George Thorogood, James Cotton, Kim Wilson, Tommy Castro, John NĂ©meth, Angela Strehli, plus many more; Bishop leads the way through a smoldering set of searing blues and rollicking R&B. While Bishop handles a majority of the vocals, he graciously steps aside on several numbers in order to allow his guests ample room to strut their stuff, including rising star and vocal powerhouse John Nemeth, as well as other distinguished personnel that include George Thorogood, Angela Strehli, Ronnie Baker Brooks and R.C. Carrier. With over 45 years of blues experience under his belt, Bishop is widely recognized and highly respected as a slide guitar master with a history dating all the way back to his electrifying and groundbreaking work in the 60's with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. By assembling a dizzying array of musical talent - age 9 through 82, Bishop has collected together a lifetime’s worth of education in the blues into one complete cohesive package; thereby allowing him the opportunity to present and pass along to the younger generation some of what the older guys gave to him. “The Blues Rolls On” is another defining moment in Bishop’s long career - a crowning achievement and welcome reminder for all of us that the blues is still alive and well.
_______

Mark Kemp wrote the great book 'Dixie Lullaby'.

Rock En Espanol Takes Hold In North Carolina : NPR Music:

"Writer Mark Kemp was born and raised in Charlotte, and came back in 2002 to be the music editor for The Charlotte Observer. 'They are playing basic rock en Espa�ol,' he says, 'but the themes are about things going on here like immigration issues.'

Kemp says that when he heard a band called La Rua, it reminded him of the rock en Espa�ol explosion he witnessed back in California in the early 1990s. This time, however, the music is about the experience of being Latino south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

'They have this song about this guy working to get money so he can bring his girlfriend over,' Kemp says. 'That is brand new for the South — it's not for them. For the South and the Midwest, it's brand new.'"
_______

Pink Floyd member Richard Wright dies at age 65 - Yahoo! News

________


_______

Here's the difference between a money grubbing, douchebag and a thoughtful, informed, connected artist.

In this corner: Kid Rock's douche ass.

Why are these people so terrified of.... well, everything?

Oh, and you aren't any good at writing songs, KR and you can double the population of 'Haterville' because I just moved in.

CMT : News : Kid Rock Offers Views on Music Industry, Politics ... and Oprah

"I truly believe that people like myself, who are in a position of entertainers in the limelight, should keep their mouth shut on politics," he noted. "Because at the end of the day, let me tell you what I 'm good at: I'm good at writing songs and singing. What I'm not educated in is the field of political science. And so for me to be sharing my views and influencing people of who I think they should be voting for ... I think would be very irresponsible on my part. So I'll just keep my mouth shut on that."

He further suggests that political candidates might be better off to avoid close connections to those in the entertainment business.

"I think celebrity endorsements hurt politicians," he said. "Because as soon as somebody comes out for a politician, especially in Hollywood, when they all go, 'I'm voting for this guy!' -- I go, 'That's not who I'm voting for!' ... As soon as Oprah Winfrey pops up and goes 'Ha-la-la-la-la,' I'm like, 'I love Barrack Obama. I hate Oprah Winfrey.'" He adds, "I don't hate her. I just don't believe in her, so I don't want any part of any of that. I think celebrities hurt politicians."

As a celebrity who has gotten plenty of media attention -- both good and bad -- Kid Rock also had some words to say about the proliferation of Internet blogs.

"There's a real problem with this Internet thing and everyone thinking they have a voice," he said. "This is where freedom can get out of hand. Everybody should not have a voice is what we've just proven by the Internet. Because I'm convinced that Jesus Christ could come back onto this earth and forgive everybody's sins, and it'd be the greatest day in mankind ever. Somebody would take a picture of him. They'd put him on a Web site like TMZ, and the first comment would be 'Jesus is a douche bag.' You know what I'm sayin'?

"This is what the Internet and bloggers are all about. They're all little haters. It's like, 'Welcome to Haterville. Population: You!'"

And in this corner, Jason Isbell:

Myspace.com Blogs - The Shape We’re In - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit MySpace Blog

I'd like to start out by saying I'm not a politician, but that's not exactly true. Politics aren't limited to those who hold or seek office. Anyone who tries to bring people together toward a common goal is a politician. Anyone who understands or attempts to understand anything about group dynamics is a politician. By profession, as the wonderfully articulate James McMurtry would attest, "I'm a beer salesman," but I'm of the mind that if we want things to be different, we must affect change. We must be heard.

I'll give you some words I sang at the top of my range and voice, in repetition, most nights for six years, words I don't remember uttering even once since I began this phase of my life: "I'm scared shitless of what's coming next." Never has that been so true.

I miss singing those words. I miss singing all those words, but more than that, I miss seeing people in the audience who actually felt like they had some control over their individual and collective fates. It seems, in hindsight, that the folks I met on the road seven years ago were more hopeful, more convinced that they too had some kind of voice.

"You get the government you deserve." I've heard it said and I've said it myself. I'm not sure if it's true, but it's the kind of sentiment I can get behind. Cold, stubborn, rallying, almost. We don't, however get the education we deserve. We don't get the freedom to worship (and NOT to worship) we deserve. We don't get the health care we deserve. We don't get the renewable energy we deserve. I think this is because we aren't given the information we deserve.

It seems to me that the modern conservative movement treats the general American public like children. Because Americans can't raise their kids properly, they should have to pray in school. Because American women can't handle the responsibility of choice, they shouldn't be allowed to have abortions under almost any circumstances. Because some Americans are so strange and misguided that they have become attracted to members of their own sex, they should be denied the rights of heterosexuals until they clean up their loathsome act. I can't make myself see the logic in this last one. If marriage is so sacred, where's McCain's first wife? If family is so important, where is Cindy's half-sister and why does she keep referring to herself as an only child?

I believe that, if given enough information, Americans can make good choices. I think two daddies can have a perfectly normal life with a functional, sane, and well-adjusted child. I think atheists can be kind and generous. Every time I'm stuck in traffic in Atlanta or Birmingham or Boston, I am happy that abortion (and birth control) hasn't yet been outlawed. Sounds rough, I know, but how many people do we really need?

Are these the real issues, though? Maybe the help we need isn't in decision making, but in the creation of opportunity. Will pouring money (tax-cuts) on the top really cause the divide between rich and poor to reduce it's size? I don't know. I'm not an economist. I do know of, however, a lot of beat-up trailers with McCain signs in their front yard. These folks had Bush signs in their front yards a few years ago. Reagan signs when the trailers were new and shiny. I think the irony is lost. I think these people, for the most part, vote with bibles in hand while they starve to death. You might be able to roll a joint with that rice paper, but you can't eat it. Meanwhile the same government they support waits for the surplus to trickle down. We need a steady stream, not a trickle.

I'm going to vote for the man who doesn't hug W. in public. I'm going to vote for the man who Rudy Giuliani can't stand. I can't stand Rudy Giuliani. He mocks hope. Maybe Obama doesn't have a lot of experience. Neither did Thatcher. Maybe he has a strange name that sounds somewhat foreign. I'm not scared by that. I look at Obama, I listen to him speak, and I trust him. More importantly than that, I think he trusts us. I think he believes in our decision-making ability. Hopefully that will continue.
_______
_____
___

No comments: